Thursday, June 24, 2004

"they're going to put you in the movies"

ugh, what a long day at work. I only have six days left of work (my last day is next friday) so I have all this stuff to do and finish before then. right now, I'm working on finishing up this activity on buoyancy that I wrote a few weeks ago. today we were working on the demonstration video that goes with the activity. somehow, I was persuaded to be the instructor in the video. I did this before with an earlier video, but that one was not as big of a deal because I didn't do very much. this one is me basically teaching the class. here comes cynthia, the next bill nye! haha. I had a really surreal moment involving this earlier video about a month ago. part of my job is going around to the classrooms that are piloting our curriculum to observe them. one day, I happened to be observing a class that was doing the activity that I had helped with the video for. the minute the video goes on, everyone in the class turns and stares at me. I was like, yes, that's me, now please just watch the video, not me! it was really weird to be watching them watch me on the screen. anyway, this same problem is going to happen on monday when I go to watch them do this new activity (we have to test new activities before we can print them). although this will probably be worse because the video is going to be much much longer and more involved. oh well. it's kind of fun anyway.

oh, and my brother has informed me that the donnie darko trailer is now available online. they are going to release a director's cut of it over the summer and I cannot wait. it's such a great movie already, and I wonder what the director wanted to change. hmm, we'll see.

oh, and I'm going to go see michael moore's "fahrenheit 911" tomorrow night with the jeremys and q. it's going to be cool to see it opening night (we already bought our tickets online to ensure that we could see it tomorrow - we are just so smart. hehe). I was trying to find an interesting quotation from "fahrenheit 451" by ray bradbury to put up here (since that's where michael moore got the title of the documentary), but so far have found nothing.
that used to be my favorite book (until i discovered kurt vonnegut). I've probably read it about 10 or so times. I even wrote a paper on it for my adolescent lit class last year. my concluding paragraph was: "Fahrenheit 451 is a complex novel about the emotional development of Guy Montag, a fireman in a future society, who transforms from being a simple-minded robot of his society into a free-thinking (and reading) adult. His development can be mirrored to the development of an adolescent into adulthood because of the similar struggles and obstacles. Also, Bradbury’s use of fire throughout the novel reflects the change that takes place in Montag, from a destructive blaze to a warming fire.... Montag’s growth is likened to a phoenix, dying and then being reborn out of the ashes into a hopeful future." reading this again, I wonder how similar this will be to michael moore's interpretation of the bush administration's handling of the september 11th tragedies. maybe this movie will help some people in our society have a more adult and free view of what actually is going on in our government and give them the impetus to make a change that we need. maybe our nation, too, can be reborn.

No comments: