Tuesday, August 24, 2004

first day of school

well, today I had my first day of grad school classes. in the morning I had advanced electricity and magnetism and in the afternoon, classical mechanics. the e&m teacher is new and russian, but luckily his accent isn't too bad. his handwriting, however, is another story. and because it's his first time teaching, he goes a bit too fast and doesn't explain everything very thoroughly. but today was just review of vector calculus, so it wasn't too hard to follow. the mechanics guy seems alright; a little boring, but that's probably just because it was all review today. although I did appreciate how he set up a framework to work in at the beginning; it was quite interesting. tomorrow I have my other class, on conceptual change in science students (through the education department) and another TA meeting. I start teaching next week, which should be exciting.

the best part however, is my schedule. mondays, i just teach one class at 2:40pm. tuesdays and thursdays I have a class at 9am and 1:30pm (and a colloquim at 4pm on thursday). wednesdays I teach from 7:30am to 1:30pm and then have a class from 4:30 to 7:30pm. so that's a long day. but, (drumroll please), I don't have anything at all on fridays, so that more than makes up for it I think. :)

I also had a pretty good weekend. friday night I went out to mill avenue (downtown tempe is just one street - but it is fairly cool) with a couple other grad students in my class. saturday night some of the second year grads had a party at their house because they had just finished their comprehensive tests and needed to unwind. it was fun and I got to meet a lot of other grad students, some who had lots of good advice about teachers and advisors and classes and stuff. it was good. sunday night we went out because it was someone's (one of the guys in our class)birthday. all in all, not a bad weekend.

No comments: