Wednesday, July 07, 2004

why moving sucks

*sigh* finally I am done (mostly). the last two days have been the longest most annoying probably in my entire life. i have this weird kind of jet lag that happens when you travel too much in the same time zone. ugh.
so I guess I should start at the beginning. you all know I am moving out of my apartment in san diego and into my mom's house in los angeles for a week before going to europe for three weeks and then moving to arizona for grad school. whew, that was tiring just typing it. so yesterday I began the move out of san diego. [side note: there will be a post about the big going away dinner on monday night, but I need to vent first. sorry.] I got my u-haul and everything without any problem (thank goodness) and began packing away. thanks soooo much to gregg for helping me move all the furniture. I couldn't have done it without you. promise. basically, everything took longer than I was expecting and although I wanted to leave around 6:30, I actually left around 8pm. oh well. at least there wasn't as much traffic. so, I drove the u-haul up the lovely 5 freeway and made pretty good time considering I was driving a huge truck (ok, maybe huge is not the right word, but it was big). it wasn't nearly as hard as my mom thought it would be (of course - she thought it wouldn't even have power steering - like duh, whatever). unfortunately, when I got home I could not sleep even though I was completely exhausted. too much caffeine I guess, maybe just stress. but whatever it was it was really annoying. I had to wake up around 5:30am the next day so I probably only got about 4-5 hours of sleep. sad.
ok, so the next morning, me, my step-dad daryl, and me caravan (in three separate cars/u-haul) up to valencia where we are storing my stuff (for free, there is no way I would store it up there for no good reason). there was a bit of traffic, but not too bad. daryl is a crazy driver and was like speeding with the u-haul. bad idea. anyway, we got all my stuff out in about ten minutes, which gave me and mom plenty of time to drive the u-haul back to northridge to return it and then get me to the train station by 8:30. even though my mom almost got in a car accident, we made it there with plenty of time to spare. we had a nice little argument about george bush in the car while we were waiting, but other than that, nothing too exciting happened.
the train itself was its own story. now, I have become a seasoned veteran on taking the amtrak since I have now been doing it for five years. I have an entire system worked out so that no one ever sits next to me. the two important points: one, have a backpack or other similar type luggage item (sometimes a big purse will work) to put on the seat next to you that you would like to keep open. two, pretend to be asleep whenever the train stops to get more passengers. just reading a book or staring out the window will not suffice. if you are actually asleep (like the guy who was snoring two rows ahead of me) that works even better. although it is hard to fall asleep with the constant beeping and annoying children running up and down the aisles and hearing every cell phone ring known to man. ah, the joys of public transportation. well, considering all that and that my pen ran out of ink, it wasn't too bad of a trip. I've had worse (like that time laura and I had to sit on the floor most of the way from sd to la one thanksgiving weekend).
when I got back to my apartment, I realized that my laptop backpack was missing, along with all of the cords and paperwork that was in it (luckily my laptop was not in it. thank goodness. I would've died right there). I have a good feeling that it was taken accidentaly when salvation army came to pick up my desk, but we couldn't get ahold of them to confirm this, so as of right now, it is mia, probably never to be heard from again. so, in other words, you will not be seeing any pictures on here for a while since I can no longer connect my camera to my computer. :( but, don't worry, I will find a replacement. anyway, so that started off the bad day. it kind of just slowly got worse as I realized that I needed about three more hours and another car in order to pack all of my stuff and get it into my car. how is it that I've accumulated so much crap? it's seriously ridiculous. well, anyway, it all got done somehow. props to jeralin and nancy for cleaning. you guys rock. we finished moving out around 6, then I had to go and return our time warner modem to their store in miramar.
after that I met up with eric to say goodbye to him (he couldn't make it to the dinner) and then went to say goodbye to the jeremys and q. basically, at this time, the 'bad day' vibe left and it became 'happy/sad day' instead. jeremy cogan made me a candlelight dinner (aww, how cute) and q made fun of us. ah, just like old times. jeremy gallagher showed up later and then I had to go. so sad. I wanted to leave around 8, but again didn't end up getting out of there until almost 9. oh well. the drive back was quick. and now I am here in la, trying to make myself fall asleep. it's not working so well. another early morning tomorrow, but then the rest of the week should be really chill (let's hope).

No comments: