Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Tarnation

so I haven't slept very much the last three nights. it's mostly because I'm stupid (and I have to be at work at a decent hour in the morning - I started on my research project this week). here's why: sunday night I had a couple cokes with the celebratory dinner after our soccer game. couldn't fall asleep (it was very reminiscent of my insomnia days from last semester. not fun).

monday night, Angel and I cooked dinner for Katie, Adam, and Oscar at Katie's house. we all watched 'Raising Arizona' and laughed at the Tempe "accents" (the movie is set where we live now). great movie. anyway, I didn't get home until like 2am or something. very stupid.

last night, I rented the movie 'Tarnation' and watched that. Jeremy had told me about it a few weeks ago and it looked really interesting. it's a documentary by this guy Jonathan Caouette about his life growing up with a dysfunctional family (including his schizophrenic mother). he started making the movie when he was about 11 years old and continued filming his life up until now (he's about 30). he had a budget of about $200 and edited the whole thing on apple's iMovie. considering all of this, it's really quite an amazing movie. it's not always easy to watch a documentary (especially if you're not used to watching a movie without a real plot), but this one was very different. there was a real emotional core to it that pulled you in and didn't let go. Jonathan's story is both amazing and heart-wrenching. and the way that he tells it is so unique and spellbinding that it's hard to look away. anyway, I really liked it. the love he has for his mother despite all of her problems (and the problems they have caused him) is really inspiring and beautiful.

tonight I won't be sleeping much either since I and a bunch of friends are going to a midnight showing of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. should be lots of fun (and hopefully - please Lucas don't let us down - a good movie too).

No comments: