Thursday, January 13, 2005

a marathon, a movie, and a "new" bike

ahh, this week has been so nice. no classes, no homework, no guilty conscience about work I should be doing. it will all start again on tuesday, but for now I am happy. and I've been getting a lot done, which is quite surprising. the weekend was pretty busy because my mom and step-dad were here and I had to do stuff with them. they both ran the marathon on sunday morning (and my aunt and uncle ran the half-marathon) and I cheered them on for the last two miles (on my bike, but still). on saturday I sort of wished that I was running again, but after seeing them struggling along those last couple miles, I forgot all about that. hehe. I will stick with my 90 minute soccer game, thank you very much. I still don't see why anyone would want to run for 3 to 6 hours just to say they did that. but anyway, that's just me. we all had a pretty nice weekend I think, and it was definitely nice having them take me out to dinner.

monday I woke up at 9am again (I was still a bit jet lagged over the weekend) and started cleaning up my apartment. tuesday I did a whole lot of nothing (except some more cleaning). wednesday I went to school and met with the professor I'll be teaching for this semester. that was fun. wednesday night, adam and I went to see "a very long engagement", the new movie by director jean-pierre jeunet (the guy who directed "amelie" one of my top five movies of all time). the movie was pretty good, not as good as amelie, but still quite moving. it really shows the horrible parts of war (in this case, the great war, world war I (or as kurt vonnegut says 'the world's first unsuccessful attempt to commit suicide')). I didn't really think that they developed the main characters enough; so while you really really wanted audrey tautou's character to find her fiance, you didn't really understand why. but it was still a beautiful film.

today I got a lot of stuff done. I picked up my bike from the bike shop where it was getting a tune-up. and let me just say, it's like a whole new bike. i'm so happy and wondering why I didn't do this sooner. I was having problems with the chain and it's all completely fixed. so yay! and I also spent the afternoon attaching a rack on the back so now I can carry more groceries and books. yay for that as well. I also now have a light so I won't get a ticket when I ride home in the dark. today ended with soccer practice (we have two new guys on our team that are really good, so I'm excited about that). maybe tomorrow I'll make it over to the mall to get my ipod speakers. maybe.

No comments: